More "Samba woes" Was:[Sussex] Connecting SuSE 9.2 to Windows XP

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Wed Apr 13 14:37:45 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:

> Absolutely nothing. It (the swat option) in servers won't accept root
> login - So I presume that theres some sort of config I'll have to do
> with webmin, and after reading some stuff, I also installed usermin -
> but I can't even access that!
>
> AAAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh! Bloody Linux.

Indeed, actually there seems to be a serious gotcha when installing SWAT -
at least on Debian stable.

I had Samba running ok and decided to try swat to see if it really made the
share maintainance task easier.

Well... I had Samba running as Daemons. The first thing the swat install did
was to stop them and replace them with COMMENTED OUT entries in /etc/inetd.conf.

This of course killed all my Samba shares :(

Once I discovered this and uncommented them it did indeed seem to work -
however it's a bit too limited for what I want and I hate network stuff that
runs from inetd.

So I've reverted to daemons and hand cranking the .conf file

It also seemed to have removed my "workgroup=" line from my configuration,
but that might have been me playing in swat.

John - I do have the O'Reilly Samba book which is quite good at explaining
how it all works - with pictures even! You can borrow it if you want.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

 Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it is pronounced?