[Sussex] Re: More "Samba woes"

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 14:45:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 15:28 +0100, akaDruid wrote:
> Is this any help? Found on the net:
>
>  For simple administration tasks with the Samba server, there is also
> the program swat. It provides a simple web interface with which to
> configure the Samba server conveniently. In a web browser, open
> http://localhost:901 and log in as user root. However, swat must also
> be activated in the files /etc/xinetd.d/samba and /etc/services. To do
> so in /etc/xinetd.d/samba, edit the disable line so it reads disable =
> no. More information about swat is provided in the man page.
>
> http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/doc/suse/suse9.2/suselinux-adminguide_en/ch25.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't access it that way either. I have
absolutely no idea why, and the webmin.pdf still isn't much help.

Because the SWAT facility is part of the samba "suite" (didn't know that
it was more than one app) I'm presuming that it's installed - but again,
I have no way of finding that out.

I've got the latest SAMBA installed from the portage tree, and as far as
I can tell, it wasn't "chopped off" by gentoo or whoever actually
produced the e-build.

Plus it (SWAT) won't allow access as either root or user, or using my IP
or just "localhost", via a browser or via webmin!

I can only presume that I'm doing something completely wrong - and I'll
be b******d if I can work out what it is!

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

regards

John D.