[Sussex] Connecting Slackware 10.1 to Slackware 10.1 [Was: Connecting SuSE 9.2 to Windows XP]

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Wed Apr 13 22:25:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 11:01:14PM +0100, Captain Redbeard wrote:
> crossover cable, I think. Before I end up spending parting with more
> of my hard-earned cash, hacking is an expensive addiction, could
> anyone confirm if this is true. My network cards seem to work OK when
> I enter "ifconfig eth0" on both machines but as there both on-board
> cards they don't have any leds so I don't know if they can talk to
> each other. Am I doomed to buying more hardware?

Yes, a cross-over cable is what you need for a P-P connection.  It's
wired slightly differently than a normal cat5 cable.  Note that of
course you were able to 'iconfig eth0' on both machines just fine --
that just confirms both *cards* are active.  It's the link between them
(the physical medium -- the wire) that ultimately determines if the two
computers will talk to each other.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"