[Sussex] Dual Boot

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Thu Apr 14 23:33:58 UTC 2005

John,

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:51:41 +0100
"John D." <john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> Benefits of using seperate /home, well if Tracy (or you) wanted to try
> a different distro, you just install it to the /root (you just have to
> make sure that theres an entry for the /home partition in
> the /etc/fstab). don't touch the /home and then you can just carry on
> where you/she left off - as long as you install all the same packages.
> Maybe that helps some?????

I have had a separate /home partition on my PC since I built it - this
simple trick meant that, when I wanted to try Ubuntu after my Debian
upgrade fried, I installed Ubuntu over the broken Debian & when I
installed Sylpheed from Ubuntu, all of my e-mails were still there with
all my mail folders & message rules just as they were. The same was true
for other apps as well.

I hope to be able to find a way for Tracy to be able to use Mozilla
Thunderbird in both Windows & Ubuntu & still see all of her e-mails.

Gavin.

> p.s. the only thing that I've always done is the partitioning with
> partition magic 8 - though only because I've used it before and have a
> copy to hand - fdisk or cfdisk didn't look to onerous when Steve D
> showed me how that works.

I have used one of these before when I added another hard drive,
although I've not used them for re-sizing an existing partition (if
indeed either of them can).