[Sussex] Dual Boot

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 10:30:20 UTC 2005

Gavin Stevens wrote:

>John,
>
>On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:51:41 +0100
>"John D." <john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Benefits of using seperate /home, well if Tracy (or you) wanted to try
>>a different distro, you just install it to the /root (you just have to
>>make sure that theres an entry for the /home partition in
>>the /etc/fstab). don't touch the /home and then you can just carry on
>>where you/she left off - as long as you install all the same packages.
>>Maybe that helps some?????
>>

>I have had a separate /home partition on my PC since I built it - this
>simple trick meant that, when I wanted to try Ubuntu after my Debian
>upgrade fried, I installed Ubuntu over the broken Debian & when I
>installed Sylpheed from Ubuntu, all of my e-mails were still there with
>all my mail folders & message rules just as they were. The same was true
>for other apps as well.
>
>I hope to be able to find a way for Tracy to be able to use Mozilla
>Thunderbird in both Windows & Ubuntu & still see all of her e-mails.

Well, although I have thunderbird installed under my gentoo and windows
install, I don't access my mail under windows (I'm of the opinion that
it may be safer not too, even if millions of others are happy to do
that), and I even used the same theme so it all looks identical.

Hence, if Tracy got into the habit of checking her mail in either OS,
you'd just have to show her how to get at the mail folder thats under
windows from linux and vice versa (w98 you say??? so that should be
reasonably straight forward).

Or maybe just "teach" her good IT house keeping and make the dual boot a
temporary thing while she learns her way round the Ubuntu - then dump
the windows! That's what I'd do for Clare, if it wasn't that she's a
teacher, and windows (with a smattering of technophobia) is the only
option at school :-(

regards

John D.