[Sussex] Up and comming moot talks

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Apr 15 11:34:12 UTC 2005

Hi Frances

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:17:42AM +0100, Fleming, Frances wrote:
> On Thu Apr 14 22:37:29 BST 2005, Steve Dobson wrote:
> > If you would like to give one of the lightning talks, or any talk
> > then please contact me on- or off-list
>
> I'd kind of like to do a ten minute presentation by way of practice
> for the next fair ... :)

My gut feeling is that I have to say "no".  Mark has gone out of his way
to honour his commitment to present his PBX talk that night.  Several
people (myself included) want to hear it and anything that might disrupt
Mark's presentation would be unfair on him and those of us that want
to hear the talk.

However, the rule is that the presenter is king (or queen) for the night,
so Mark can overrule me if he wishes.  I don't know how long he expects
his talk to run, but as it is starting late there is a potential that for
you to have a ten minute slot at 19:30 (or even earlier).  If Mark
overrules me I will, however, shut you down at 19:45 to get the set ready
for him.  However, this is all dependant on Mark overruling my "no"
ruling.

> I've got a single 10-minute presentation covering interaction between:
<snip>
> For the fair, I thought I'd run the all-in-one, then I might do one of
> the extras if the person expressed interest.

That's fine.  There is, BTW, plenty of time to practice at the BCF.  For
use stall owners the doors open at 08:00 (doors for the general public
open at 10:00).  It only takes about half an hour to set up so you will
have plenty of time to practice on me before the doors open (and Karl
if he is there early).  What time do you want me to turn up?

> For the moot, I'd like to practice running through the all-in-one, if
> people were willing to let me.

Subject to Mark overruling me:

The only presentation I have ever seen at a moot that didn't over run it's
time slot was Nik's "10 Tips in 10 Minutes".  The changes of you doing two
ten minute presentations before Mark's bit I would say are almost zero.

BOFH excuse #119:

evil hackers from Serbia.