[Sussex] CD-R in Ubuntu

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sun Apr 17 00:11:28 UTC 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 01:00:08 +0100
Thomas Adam <thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 12:47:24AM +0100, Gavin Stevens wrote:
> > My /etc/fstab looks like this:
> >
> > /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 rw,user,noauto 0 0
>
> > Is this right for the CD? I keep having a thought that there was
> > another file that I edited when I had Debian, when SCSI emulation
> > was needed, but I can't remember what it was.
>
> Assuming /dev/hdc is both a CD and a CDRW then it is incorrect.  I
> would seriously let Linux work out which FS it is mounting, hence that
> line becomes:
>
> /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

Thanks, that's got rid of some of the error messages that appear in
Nautilus CD Creator. However, as it uses cdrecord, I am currently
looking at man cdrecord (hopefully avoiding any RTFM ripostes) before
asking any more questions - I have already altered /etc/default/cdrecord
to point it to /dev/hdc. If I'm still in the dark after studying man
cdrecord, then I'll ask, giving the error messages.

> You don't mention which kernel your using, which would help a lot.  In
> fact, it's paramount.

I'm using kernel 2.6.8.1 (standard with Ubuntu 4.10 Warty)

I'm not there yet, but once again you have pointed me in the right
direction - thanks.

Gavin.