[Sussex] Partitioning Ideas/Suggestions

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 14:17:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 03:02:11PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> It's my Clares birthday today. So I've got her this rather nifty little
> Samsung mp3 player. With 1 gig of flash storage, which supports
> mp3/wma/wav/ogg (excellent = ogg :D ).
>
> I have two problems with this. firstly, the software thats come with the
> player is windows based and my windows XP install still won't see
> my /mnt/fat32 (/dev/hda7) partition, but I think that I've worked out
> why that is.

You'll probably find that the MP3 player is a simple USB mass storage
device which works in linux. Load the following modules, and it should
appear as a SCSI disc (see dmesg output when you plug it in).

usb-storage
sd_mod
scsi_mod
vfat

I think that's it (as well as the module for your USB controller). I
have the following in my fstab for my iRiver:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat user,defaults,noexec,noauto 0 0

Then I have the following bash alias to sync it:

alias iriversync='rsync -rvuL --size-only --delete /mnt/myhd/iriver/ /mnt/usb/'

Hope this helps,
Alan