[Sussex] Re: Setting up a simple home network

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Apr 30 22:44:34 UTC 2005

Red

On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 23:20 +0100, Captain Redbeard wrote:
<snip>
> [/etc/networks]
> loopback           127.0.0.0
> localnet           130.100.100.0
>
> (I never looked at this one before.  Should I change the
> second line to "localnet 192.168.0.0", add "homenet
> 192.168.0.0" or can I ignore this file?)

Networks is almost never used.  I never bother with it.

> [/etc/resolv.conf]
> search homenet
> domain homenet
>

> [/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf]
> IPADDR="192.168.0.1"
> NETMASK="255.255.0.0"
> GATEWAY="192.168.0.71
> DEBUG_ETH_UP="no"
>
> (Whoops!  GATEWAY was spelled wrongly, now corrected.)

I notice you have a gateway.  What type of machine is this and is it
connected to the Internet?  If it is then you should also have
some "nameserver" lines in your /etc/resolv.conf

> The command "ls /home -l | grep public" gives:
>
> drwxrwxrwx  1 root root    48 2005-04-28 21:14 public

Week security, but okay.

> The command "ps -A | grep nfsd" gives:
>
> 2564 ?       00:00:00 nfsd
> 2567 ?       00:00:00 nfsd
> 2568 ?       00:00:00 nfsd
> 2569 ?       00:00:00 nfsd
> 2570 ?       00:00:00 nfsd
> 2571 ?       00:00:00 nfsd
> 2572 ?       00:00:00 nfsd
> 2573 ?       00:00:00 nfsd

You have two many nfsd processes.  There should only be one, and unless
you want to work out which one is the one that has the correct
configuration kill them all and restart just one.

> That covers pretty much everything I can think of for the
> server.  Now I reboot it and see what happens.
>
> OK, this time there were no errors but curiously the line
> "/usr/sbin/rpc.inetd 8" did appear under the heading
> "Starting NFS services:" in the boot messages and doing "ps
> -A | grep nfsd" immediately after logging in still shows
> eight instances of nfsd running.  Is this some sort of
> config error?  Other than that, all of the files are
> unchanged and the commands still work as expected.

That does sound odd and I don't get that in my Debian system.

> So now if I ping the server from the client and vise-versa
> everything seems to be in order.  Now I'll try the mount
> command again!
>
> root at shrineofthebeard:~# mount -t nfs
> templeofthebeard.homenet:/home/public /home/public
> root at shrineofthebeard:~#

Congrats

> Now all I need to do is configure Samba so that I can get my
> XP laptop added, set up my Speedtouch USB modem to connect
> my server to the Internet, build and configure a third
> machine as an Internet gateway and router, configure an
> Apache web server for my sites, plug in two more machines
> for a-life experiments........

Good luck.