[Sussex] NTL broadband speed up

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 13:01:17 UTC 2005

Andrew Guard wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>On 6:21:23 pm 08/08/2005 Andrew Guard <andrew at andrewguard.com> wrote:
>>
>>>The Merger for them makes sence, do understand why some people
>>
>>ooh good, even more regions with wildly incompatible cable services all
>>pretending to be one company :(
>

> Why do say that?

When the UK had many different cable providers, they all installed
slightly different, incompatible, technology. This is why certain areas
(i.e. my place in South London) cannot get cable internet - the
infrastructure just isn't there).

>>>On another subject I would rather go for unlimited bandwidth, it make
>>>more sence in long run.
>>
>>So would all users, but it won't happen ;)
>>

>>>What I dont see happing is great improvments in upload speeds!  This
>>
>>Not at all surprising, why would a home user need lots of upload
>>bandwidth?
>>

>>>is most important part, I only can find SDSL which make large strides
>>>in that direction.  But only few places where can have it and as with
>>>ASDL distance from exchange is a factor.
>>
>>SDSL is also largely an LLU thing at this stage, as are some of the
>>ADSL-like services (e.g. Bulldog). We have a 1mb sdsl line at work and
>>it's
>>really quite expensive unfortunately.
>>Distance from the exchange isn't a factor if you live in a sensible place
>>:)
>>
>>The cable people aren't ISPs, they're just giving you a pipe and making
>>you
>>use their proxy. I would rather have a quality internet connection than a
>>massively contented "fast" one :)

Correct - the cable internet services work more on the AOL style of
'service provision' - where they provide you with a connection which is
routed to the Internet, however, where at all possible, you remain
inside their 'walled garden' network.

> But UK both Telewest and NTL are ISP in there own right.  That both have
> massive pipes connections to USA and Europe.  They have network
> connections in at both London/Manacheser Telehouses.  They both self
> leased lines.  You dont have to use there proxy but if wish you can use
> there proxy servers, each customer get real IP.  These IP ranges are owned
> by NTL/Telewest.

Correct - sort of.

Cable is a shared ethernet based system. The more people using it, the
higher the contention. Cable connections have a MUCH higher contention
ratio than ADSL connections, so the speed at which you're claiming to be
talking to the UBR (a 1Mbps connection 'to the Internet' isn't correct
- you have a sync with the UBR at a fluctuating rate, and the cablemodem
does traffic limiting to slow your connection down) isn't always the
speed of your connection.

You're thinking about contention at the head end. This is still the case
with a lot of UK ISP's, and almost certainly with the cable providers
who are now offering these superfast connections.

NTL certainly, force all web traffic through their proxy, which gives
the end user the impression of a faster connection, yet allows them to
use less transit bandwidth out of their network to the Internet at large.

In my personal opionin, ADSL connections are much better, both in terms
of speed and 'reliability' (in so far as contention affects the
connection, at least) than cable connections.

This is why my friend's 8Mbit cable pipe in the US is generally slower
than my 1Mbit ADSL here in the UK.

Just because you have an IP address from a netblock registered
(remember, ISP's never 'own' IP addresses) to NTL/Telewest/etc, doesn't
mean that you have a 'true' Internet connection. I have a large number
of IPv4 addresses terminated on my Cisco ADSL router at home, yet if I
were to attempt to use these to transit through, the provider would
shout at me somewhat. I can only use the services they provide within
their network. It's the same principal with UK CableCo's.

Regards,

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
  Presales Technical Consultant        office: +44 1483 300169