[Sussex] SuSE 9.3 - a little "flakey" perhaps ???

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Sat Aug 13 19:41:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 09:00:11PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> In my continuing search for the "perfect" distro (IMO of course), I'm
> pretty happy with this SuSE 9.3 that I got from Dave C.
>
> Sometimes, for reasons that I don't understand, when I try to open an
> oft' used app, it gives all indications that it's starting, but will
> then just stop i.e. it doesn't crash or at least give any indications of
> problems, the rotating hourglas just disappears.
>
> This has happened mostly with Firefox and Amarok (occassionally Opera
> and a few other apps). The only thing that they have in common is that I
> have them installed as far as I can see..
>
> So where should I start looking to see if this is an issue that I could
> prevent/sort out/correct etc ???

this depends on your display manager, but the X default log file is
~/.xsession-errors

KDE probably uses something else - to find out this might help:
    cd $HOME
    ls -alt | head
should reveal recently modified files in your home directory - that's
where I'd expect to find them

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jørgensen