[Sussex] Gentoo Network Problems

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 04:16:58 UTC 2005

Hi list,

I was following the instructions to do a stage 3 install without a
network connection, as I wanted to initially use the binary GRP packages
from "disc 2".

The problem is that some of my efforts to get stuff installed from the
second disc are throwing up "Temporary loss of name resolution" type
errors. Why that should be is a complete mystery. The packages are
supposed to be on the disc!

It appears that I can ping Clares laptop plugged to the network, but any
external sources are failing.

It seems that things look OK in the /etc/conf.d/net file (i.e. the IPs
for the pc, netmask and gateway are all shown) and the /etc/resolv.conf
is showing my ISP's nameserver (the only thing I'm a little confused
about is the exact format i.e. is it capitialised word nameserver or
lower case, is ther brackets round the numbers, are they quoted etc etc)
looks OK AFAIK!

What do I need to look at next please ??

regards

John D.