[Sussex] Upgrading from RHEL to Fedora

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Sat Aug 27 23:29:56 UTC 2005

I have few installs of RHEL 3 Workstation that I am considering moving
to Fedora Core. These are workstations (as you would assume!) and there
is no value add in paying the annual fee simply for access to the
updates (and existing packages that haven't been installed) combined
with extra hassle with unsupported hardware (by Red Hat, not Linux).
Since this list is more RH friendly than other lists I'm on (tending to
be, like me, Debian biased!) I thought I'd ask here...

I've not come up with anything from Google yet, but I may just hit on
the right search term soon. I'm hoping that the common workings of the
system will mean that I can simply change the release RPM and upgrade
(although I may just be hoping this is the case based on my Debian
experience and the assumption that RHEL is roughly equivalent to stable
and Fedora matching testing - although testing and unstable may be
closer, or most likely somewhere between the two!). Are the
distributions closely enough related to allow this, or is it just
wishful thinking on my part?

>From a bit of work with Fedora a few days ago it seems to have come a
long way since I gave up on RH back at the 6 to 7 version change (unlike
RHEL which, imho, is a backward step for my usage in many ways -
although not all). It still has a way to go to match Debian for ease of
use though - but I'm a techy and I like the Debian installer too :)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/