[Sussex] AMD Sempron Chips and BIG backups

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Mon Dec 12 10:42:57 UTC 2005

Hi folks

Anyone had any linux experiences they'd care to relate with AMD Sempron
chips?  Good, bad, indifferent?  I have a server case here which I'm
thinking of using for a network fileserver and I'm wondering whether to
chance using a Sempron rather than shelling out for a Intel chip.

I'd be using Debian Sarge and the machine would be working as a file
server with a few big drives in a software raid array.  The design
department here is managing to generate increasingly frightening file
sizes which is using up disk space at an alarming rate.  I was thinking
of shelling out on some big SATA (or even IDE) drives and chaining them
into a raid5 or maybe raid10 (don't know if software raid supports
raid10 but I think it does).

Secondly, is anyone routinely backing up large amounts of disk
space (as in 100GB+).  How are you doing it?  Using a tape drive seems
to be becoming more and more expensive and I'm wondering whether I can
implement an alternative backup system (for example a duplicated server
which rsyncs nightly).  What about off site backups?

Any thoughts, tips on any of the above gratefully received.

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com