[Sussex] Noob

Geoffrey Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Tue Feb 1 09:18:08 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 09:04 +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> A good recomendation, but in a free (as in speach) socity the members
> are allowed to "deviate from the norm" - there you are, Gavin, you're
> now a deviate :-)

A deviant surely?

I absolutely agree with the point about freedom - I understand why any
informed user would want to make that decision.  I was just putting
forth the idea that less informed users would do better to stick with
the GNOME desktop if they want to get the best out of the Ubuntu
project.

> If, as earler posted, Longhorn is going to be a DRM infested nightmare,
> how much longer will it be until the software starts blocking access
> to some content because you have already selected another?  Sort of
> like how radio stations mainly play the songs released by the artists
> under contract to the studios that own the radio stations? [Geoff,
> this was not meant to be a red flag to your bull. Ed]

Not long at all I imagine.  Sony may well stop their content being
served up to Microsoft proprietary software if I read the market right -
prepare for fragmentation or cartels, these are the only two routes in
front of the music and movie industry as it crashes head long into the
world of IT.

--
Geoffrey Teale <gteale at cmedltd.com>
Cmed Technology