[Sussex] network problems + how to solve ???

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Feb 4 21:20:08 UTC 2005

Ho hum!

Since migrating from pipex to eclipse I seem to be having a few snags.

It goes like this. When "they" first changed the service like for like,
i.e. 500k for 500k there was no problem. Since they've done some mods on
the line so it supports up to 2 megs, ha ha! problem.

The problem, well the line where the modem router device (solwise SAR110)
is plugged in, also has an extension phone splitter with a cable that goes
away to a Sky set top box, plus a normal wired phone plugged in. With that
lot, the modem router is often dropping the connection, and the "adsl"
light just flashes through the syncing sequence over and over again
(looping ??).

Then I can't get the sync back until I've unplugged everything expecp the
RJ11 connection to the modem router. I've tried using different types of
microfilters ("block" type, rather than plug/pendant cable/splitter type),
with limited success i.e. the block ones "seem" to work better?? though it
could just be my imagination. I've also tried changing the network cables
etc etc. I've contacted solwise who advised me to upgrade the firmware,
which I did, still the same problem, and tomorrow I'll go through
elimination to see if I can work out what the problem might be with the
other plug in devices. Though i'm starting to suspect it could be an
external problem.

How would I find out ?

regards

John D.

p.s. Oh and one of the other little snags that this does, is that when the
modem router has dropped sync, I often experience mega probs getting into
the routers config panel via a browser i.e. it either flags up as "network
problems" or just times out etc. I do have a serial cable plugged into com
1 and the router, but I don't know what the linux equivalent of
"hyperterminal" is ! I don't seem to be able to connect it via telnet
(which just tells me "command not found"), so how would I connect the
router if it starts this nonsense (rather than booting into windows to
sort out)?