[Sussex] network problems + how to solve ???

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Fri Feb 4 21:43:33 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:
> Ho hum!
>
> Since migrating from pipex to eclipse I seem to be having a few snags.
>
> It goes like this. When "they" first changed the service like for like,
> i.e. 500k for 500k there was no problem. Since they've done some mods
> on  the line so it supports up to 2 megs, ha ha! problem.
>
> The problem, well the line where the modem router device (solwise
> SAR110)  is plugged in, also has an extension phone splitter with a
> cable that goes  away to a Sky set top box, plus a normal wired phone
> plugged in. With that  lot, the modem router is often dropping the
> connection, and the "adsl"  light just flashes through the syncing
> sequence over and over again  (looping ??).
>
> Then I can't get the sync back until I've unplugged everything expecp
> the  RJ11 connection to the modem router. I've tried using different
> types of  microfilters ("block" type, rather than plug/pendant
> cable/splitter type),  with limited success i.e. the block ones "seem"
> to work better?? though it  could just be my imagination. I've also
> tried changing the network cables  etc etc. I've contacted solwise who
> advised me to upgrade the firmware,  which I did, still the same
> problem, and tomorrow I'll go through  elimination to see if I can work
> out what the problem might be with the  other plug in devices. Though
> i'm starting to suspect it could be an  external problem.
>
> How would I find out ?
>
> regards
>
> John D.
>
> p.s. Oh and one of the other little snags that this does, is that when
> the  modem router has dropped sync, I often experience mega probs
> getting into  the routers config panel via a browser i.e. it either
> flags up as "network  problems" or just times out etc. I do have a
> serial cable plugged into com  1 and the router, but I don't know what
> the linux equivalent of  "hyperterminal" is ! I don't seem to be able to
> connect it via telnet  (which just tells me "command not found"), so how
> would I connect the  router if it starts this nonsense (rather than
> booting into windows to  sort out)?

Hi John,

I recently had a very similar sounding problem with my (at the time) Zen
ADSL connection.  Do you experience noise on the telephone?  Like
crackling?  If so, then you are having the same issue I had - i.e. a
problem between yourself and the exchange.

To solve this, I phoned BT - they test the line (which came out ok on
the remote test) then they tell you that if they find the fault with
your equipment the call-out fee is £150.

The best thing you can do prior to calling them is to borrow a known
good phone, and a known good router - take everything off the line
except the item you are testing, and test it in isolation.

To confirm the fault prior to an engineer coming round, I plugged a
spare phone in, and still heard the crackling like mad (the BT help
centre person could even hear it) - so they sent a an engineer round
(actually, it took them 2 tries, and knocking the electricity out before
it was fixed - long story) and over the course of the next month they
replaced the entire cabling and ducting between the internal house
point, and the junction box in the road - which fixed the issue.

I read that some of the new call ID signals, and SMS facilities can
affect some routers whilst I was investigating my problems.

I hope you manage to get your problems fixed!

Cheers,

Richie