[Sussex] network problems + how to solve ???

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Feb 5 19:03:53 UTC 2005

John

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 06:43:09PM -0000, John D. wrote:
> Well, between the excellent advice from Richie, Matt, Nik, Steve, etc etc
> (thanks one and all, much appreciated), I'll get the new box face plate
> type microfilter. Even though I just got 2 more of the block type plug in
> (no pendant wires) from Solwise (who also mentioned the possibility of the
> sky box).

Check you contract with Sky.  Mine, which is years old, only required me
to have the box plugged into the phone for the first year - which I
complied with.  Now I used with out a new connection.  Even the new
card they sent me worked without the phone line being pluged in.

Unless you watch pay-per-view or use the interactive service I don't
think you need to plug the box in at all.

Steve

P.S. Every think that plugs into a REN value.

Ringer Equivalence Number is the value of the "load" the unit puts on the
line.  Your phones are made to ring by putting a certain voltage down the
line.  If the the sum of the REN numbers exceed a value (3 or 4) then the
exchange will not be able to supply enough voltage to make the units ring.