Crackling Lines : was Re: [Sussex] network problems + how to solve ???

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Sat Feb 5 19:57:19 UTC 2005

Matt Brown wrote:

>I found that by badgering BT about it .. After 3 reported attempts they have
>to send out an underground engineer to investigate.
>
>This then resulted in BT digging up half of my street and fixing the problem
>which was corrosion of the cable underground. I now have a new spanking line
>installed and no longer experience crackle or other noises on my line.

I am glad your story is better than mine!  I had 3 visits from engineers
- the first diagnosed that the cable between the house and the junction
box was faulty, and ordered the replacement.  The diggers turned up, dug
the road and garden up, and put in a brand spanking new line - took them
2 days however, because on the first day they decided to hammer drill
some concrete in the garden, and hit the mains cable - apparently the
bloke flew 3 feet across the garden (wish I could have seen it!) - we
then had no power until 10pm that night after the Electricity board came
out.

That made the ADSL work for about 2 weeks - the crackle came back - so
they came out again, and replaced the line between the house box and the
inside terminal.  That worked for about 2 weeks - then it came back
again (during the damp season last year) - BT said everything was fine
when they came out again.  The ADSL came back the following day, and
hasn't been off since.  I am pretty sure that the problems are caused by
the damp, and next time it happens, I will be shouting at them again.

The thing that I want to do most to finally solve the issue is to get a
neighbour to have a mesh box setup, then I can use their line if mine
goes down, and it stops my neighbours complaining when the net goes down.

Richie