Crackling Lines : was Re: [Sussex] network problems + how to solve ???

Diego Moore diego.moore at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 20:31:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:26:41 +0000, Matt Brown <matt at mbrown.co.uk> wrote:
> I found that by badgering BT about it .. After 3 reported attempts they have
> to send out an underground engineer to investigate.
>
> This then resulted in BT digging up half of my street and fixing the problem
> which was corrosion of the cable underground. I now have a new spanking line
> installed and no longer experience crackle or other noises on my line.
>
> Maybe worth escalating the problem higher up ... Usually this seems to work.

Deja vu.

My boss had a problem with his land line last week just 1 day after
his ADSL was activated. A BT guy came and had a look at it and guess
what? Found nothing!

Anyway, it was not untill the third BT guy came that had said that the
only copper leaft was as thick as dental floss.

Turns out that the 2 previous guys new that they would have to re-wire
the entire road just to fix this line so they just passed the dirty
work the next guy! It did't help that the phone post was inaccessible
right in the middle of an over grown bush.

Makes me wonder...

Diego Moore