[Sussex] Does anyone know when/if the next issue of LinuxFormatis due out?

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Thu Feb 10 23:30:07 UTC 2005

Taking up those headlines in the effort to save people from the ffort of
reading Linux Format...

John D. wrote:
----%<------

> With sides of Gimp 2.2,

Ah the GIMP.. an old favourite.  Use it, it's cool :-)

> Emacs for beginners,

*Yay*  Well worth reading I suggest.  The application I use more than
any other on Linux.

> Basic for linux (i.e. that
> VB  and "Gambas"),

The fact that BASIC has a place in modern business at all is completely
the work of the evil empire's famous leader having an obvious bias
towards this abortion of a language (remember Altair BASIC is the only
software Billy G actually wrote for Microsoft (or Micro-soft as it was
back then)).

Many of us learned BASIC in the eightes because it was the 3GL available
on our simple 8bit machines (in many cases it was the entire UI) - we
don't have those restrictions any more and we seriously don't need to
compromise the quality of our development with pointless syntactic sugar
and inept structures.

Seriously, If you can avoid it don't use BASIC on Linux unless you have
to - there are much better options (Python, Ruby, Bash.. goddamn it even
Perl).

That said I'd also point out that OpenOffice comes with a rather
interesting BASIC implementation built in and contrary to popular belief
it has a very useable form designer and access style database front end
hidden in their as well.

Those features will be much more apparant to people when they see
OpenOffice.org 2 in the next couple of months (BTW, if you're running
Ubuntu's Hoary Hedgehog pre-release you can just apt-get install
OpenOffice.org2 to see it's current state).  Another major advantage of
the 2.0 stream is that StarBASIC is also complimented by the option of
internal scripting in Python - a much better option.

> Guido Van Rossum and Python,

Speak of the devil!

Python is by no means perfect, but compared to BASIC.... *sheeesh*

> War On Window - Is the
> Nato  Nuclear Deterrent safe funning on Windows?

Seriously, I think it really depends on the engineers working on the
project and the context in which it is used.  I imagine the environment
in which Windows is running is much less complex than you're average
desktop or on-line server.

--
Geoff Teale
Free Software Foundation <tealeg at member.fsf.org>