[Sussex] Does anyone know when/if the next issue of Linux Formatis due out?

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Feb 11 15:11:12 UTC 2005

John

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 02:36:38PM -0000, John D. wrote:
> So, having read the "beginners guide to emacs" and checked my menu
> listings, it appears that I haven't got emacs installed (yes, we have no
> bananas etc etc but that's easily remedied).
>
> Now the article is "short and sweet", but explains the difference between
> Emacs i.e. GNU Emacs and XEmacs etc etc.
>
> So bearing in mind that I'm an eye candy/GUI "glut", I'd appreciate if any
> of you could offer an opinion as to which I should try (maybe you could
> also tell me why)?

If you're into eye candy there is little difference between the two these
days.  That wasn't the case a while back.  You get very little with
which ever one you use.  Emacs is not trying to be pretty, it is trying
to be flexible and useful, which it is.

I was a long term XEmacs user (because it was better suited to running on
an X display, IMHO) but about six months ago the Debian package broke.
The editors are very important to me, so I loaded Emacs to see if that
worked.  It did, slight change, but not a huge learning curve for me,
so I switched.  I am now an GNUEmacs user not an XEmacs user.