[Sussex] Does anyone know when/if the next issue of Linux Formatis due out?

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Fri Feb 11 15:34:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 02:36:38PM -0000, John D. wrote:
> So bearing in mind that I'm an eye candy/GUI "glut", I'd appreciate if
> any of you could offer an opinion as to which I should try (maybe you
> could also tell me why)?

I can't believe I am even admitting to this, but here goes...

I used to use [X]emacs.  I hate both, but that's not for discussion
here.  Out of the two, I'd recommend XEmacs, purely because it is better
running on X11, although do not be fooled, the "X" is not an indication
that it is an X11 only app.  It runs at the console equally as well.  It
also uses the Athena widget set by default, but if you're backwards like
me, you can get it to use Motif.  There is also experimental support for
GTK, if you feel inclined to compile it yourself.  You'll find the
EmacsWiki[1] of valuable importance.

Emacs IMO looks dreadful in terms of a GUI, but it has advantages over
XEmacs in that it is not as bloated.  I happen to prefer the sheer
number of options that XEmacs offers over Emacs.  This was some time ago
now, mind.

Why did I stop using it?  It was far too memory intensive.

-- Thomas Adam

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/

--
I know nothing, and understand even less.