[Sussex] Samba configuration ???

Steve Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 14 10:56:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 10:19 +0000, John D. wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:07:36 +0000, Steve Williams
> <sdp.williams at btinternet.com> wrote:
> ----%<----
> >> lsusb gives me this->
> >> johns root # lsusb
> >> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04b8:011d Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 1260 Photo
> >> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> >> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> >>

> > This suggests that your USB system is not detecting the device at all,
> > just as you said. This lsusb listing suggests that your PC doesn't have
> > much in the way of USB devices - is it a notebook PC? Is your XDA
> > plugged into a PC Card USB controller?
> ----%<----
>
> Additionally to the last reply Steve, I just checked again after
> unplugging the scanner and re-plugging the usb cradle and got this
>
> johns root # lsusb
> Bus 002 Device 017: ID 0bb4:0a05 High Tech Computer Corp.
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> johns root # lsusb
> Bus 002 Device 019: ID 04b8:011d Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 1260 Photo
> Bus 002 Device 018: ID 0bb4:0a05 High Tech Computer Corp.
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> johns root #
>
> The top report with the scanner unplugged and then plugged back in, so the
> system is (apparently) seeing the XDA afterall.
>
> So any idea's what I'd need to do next ??

Sounds like you have hotplug and coldplug emerged after all, but you
might want to check.

Follow this link to read about compiling USB PocketPC support into the
kernel:

http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/usb_linux.php

I build this into the kernel rather than as modules, but it's your
choice.

Hotplug will allow detection of your XDA when you drop it into the
cradle. If you compile USB PocketPC support as a module you can use
hotplug to auto-load the module when it detects the XDA being plugged
in. Since I compile it into the kernel I'm not sure how you'd set this
up.

Once you've got the support set up (in the kernel or as a module) you
should ensure your system detects your XDA when it's plugged in. You
should see some lines in your syslog similar to this:

kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:14.2-2, assigned address 3
kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x49f/0x3) is not claimed by any active driver.
kernel: usb.c: registered new driver serial
kernel: usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
kernel: usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
kernel: ipaq.c: USB PocketPC PDA driver v0.5
kernel: usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for PocketPC PDA
kernel: usbserial.c: PocketPC PDA converter detected
kernel: usbserial.c: PocketPC PDA converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)

Once you have got this it's time to emerge synce, synce_kde, multisync
etc., depending on your system. You will need to unmask a number of
packages that SynCE depends; I suggest you have a play around with
emerge -p to see what's what. I recommend the latest SynCE releases as
these seem to be more reliable and feature rich (i.e. - they work!) than
the earlier releases.

Let me know how you get on.

Steve.