[Sussex] Samba configuration ???

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Feb 14 17:55:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:56:48 +0000, Steve Williams
<sdp.williams at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Sounds like you have hotplug and coldplug emerged after all, but you
> might want to check.

How would I check that? because I recall including hotplug as a USE flag
and I emerged coldplug later.

> Follow this link to read about compiling USB PocketPC support into the
> kernel:
>
> http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/usb_linux.php
>
> I build this into the kernel rather than as modules, but it's your
> choice.

Hum? I checked the link, but it's left me thoroughly confused.

Quote:
If you compile the Linux kernel yourself, make sure that this driver is
included in your kernel configuration:
USB Support ->
USB Serial Converter support ->
USB PocketPC PDA Driver

(Earlier this was called the USB Compaq iPAQ / HP Jornada / Casio EM500
Driver)

Pre-compiled Linux kernels usually includes the ipaq Linux kernel driver
that is required to use SynCE with USB.

but I get stuck there as well, because I'm unsure as to how I'd look to
see if I have the ipaq Linux kernel driver, not ever having had an ipaq

> Hotplug will allow detection of your XDA when you drop it into the
> cradle. If you compile USB PocketPC support as a module you can use
> hotplug to auto-load the module when it detects the XDA being plugged
> in. Since I compile it into the kernel I'm not sure how you'd set this
> up.

Ok, I understand that, but again, I'm at a loss as to how to compile USB
Pocket PC support into the kernel (or add it as a module for that matter).

> Once you've got the support set up (in the kernel or as a module) you
> should ensure your system detects your XDA when it's plugged in. You
> should see some lines in your syslog similar to this:
>
> kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:14.2-2, assigned address 3
> kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x49f/0x3) is not claimed by any
> active driver.
> kernel: usb.c: registered new driver serial
> kernel: usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
> kernel: usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4
> kernel: ipaq.c: USB PocketPC PDA driver v0.5
> kernel: usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for PocketPC PDA
> kernel: usbserial.c: PocketPC PDA converter detected
> kernel: usbserial.c: PocketPC PDA converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or
> usb/tts/0 for devfs)

I dream of actually seeing anything that I understand in the syslog :(

> Once you have got this it's time to emerge synce, synce_kde, multisync
> etc., depending on your system. You will need to unmask a number of
> packages that SynCE depends; I suggest you have a play around with
> emerge -p to see what's what. I recommend the latest SynCE releases as
> these seem to be more reliable and feature rich (i.e. - they work!) than
> the earlier releases.

Well, from what I've read from your posts Steve, plus at the SynCE stuff
at sourceforge I'd probably have to get the synce_kde package as I really
dislike using gnome
(that's just personal preference - kde instructions just seem to have made
more sense to my way of thinking).

> Let me know how you get on.

I seem to be at a complete stop, as I can't get my head round the stages
of "what next".

So, if I've read this correctly, I need to

a) check that I have hot/cold plug running OK.

b) check whether I have the ipaq Linux kernel driver installed (is this
the same as the PocketPC PDA driver mentioned at the SynCE linux_usb
section?)
Or if they're different, where would I find them?

c) if not, I'd need them compiled into the kernel or as a module?

d) then I'd need to get the synce_kde package (or would I need all of
them? - I don't follow the difference).

Anything else ?????

regards

a very confused John D.