[Sussex] Heat!

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Sun Feb 20 16:59:03 UTC 2005

Hi

On Sun, February 20, 2005 12:58, Richie Jarvis said:
> void underneath, and I was hoping that the heat in the cupboard would
> drawn air from below.  I haven't made any additional holes, but there

It probably is drawing air, just very slowly. You could add an exhaust fan
to the cupboard, that would draw more air in, although it could well be
that there is another source of the air - e.g. it might be easier for it
to leak into the cupboard from the house rather than beneath the house, in
which case you're pulling in room temperature air and it's not going to
cool the cupboard very much.

If you wanted to get seriously drastic you could bore a 120mm hole or two
from the cupboard to the void, and install some intake filters/fans to
force cold air up into the cupboard ;)

> nest appears under the floor (like happened last year) I would end up
> with a cupboard full of them!

That would indeed be very bad! You could grill/screen the holes such that
they are wasp proof though (and be sure to check/clean them regularly!)

> but it just heats up without the door open.

I have a cupboard in my hall that has a fileserver and a SparcStation
firewall, along with router and switch. It gets pretty warm and I'm just
renting the place so I can't start drilling holes in things. I just leave
the door ajar and it keeps it just cool enough not to spontaneously
combust ;)

It's certainly not painfree or cheap, but watercooling would probably do
the trick - you could even route pipes down into the cold void below and
do the heat exchange there for better performance and effectively zero
noise in the cupboard :)

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones