[Sussex] Heat!

David Chapman linux-lists at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 20 17:00:30 UTC 2005

On Sunday 20 February 2005 12:58, Richie Jarvis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Got a bit of a problem at the moment - well, had it for a while really,
> and hoping to get some good suggestions.
>
> My mythtv box and fileserver sit under the stairs - the fileserver is
> rock solid, but the myth box is suffering from instability due to
> serious overheating - the temp under there reaches between 25 and 30
> degrees C with the door closed (despite putting a huge grill in the
> wall, and putting a vent in the door), and I believe this is responsible
> for the problems.

I had an Intel SC450NX server under the stairs which had 4x500Mhz Xeons and
3x400W psu's in it this box could also heat the house :-)
Never had a problem with over heating tho the door was always open.

So your problem is probably air flow in that the air is being recycled rather
than replaced. If you could get a fan to blow air into the cupboard from the
under floor void (which would have the coolest air) that would probably help.

Hope this helps.
	Dave