[Sussex] snigger, snigger!

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Thu Jan 6 22:53:56 UTC 2005

Mark Harrison wrote:
> Heh - at least Bill actually _uses_ his software.

What you mean he still has an Altair on which to run Altair BASIC?

... oh I see, you mean he uses software written by people who work for
his company or used to work for companies his company acquired.   ;-)

On this subject, I received a book for Christmas, it was written by
Michael Bywater and is entitled "Lost Worlds - What have we lost, and
where did it go?", I thoroughly recommend it.   It is a highly
entertaining read, a taxonimy of loss.   I wish to quote a single entry
(including footnotes, it's the final footnote that's the killer):

Microsoft.
==========

Microsoft is, sadly, far from lost*.  But is is, in a precisely
defineable way, a loser, and what it loses is other people's lives.

Let us derive a conservative estimate of 200 million computers installed
worldwide**.  Let us take, also, the estimate of approximately five
hours per computer lost each week to people's computer problems -
crashes, viruses, incomprehension, upgrading and so forth***.  This
comes to over 114,000 person-years lost each and every year because of
poor software design, and, given that Microsoft is by far the most
successful supplier of operating systems and application software in the
world, they must, surely, feel dreadfully saddened by this terrible loss
of human time, maybe even, in their benevolent humility, blaming
themselves for time equivalent to one thousand, two hundred human
lifetimes wasted every year.  Not including the time wasted by Microsoft
executives, worrying about it.  This is a lot of irreplaceable time.
Perhaps we shoud sue someone; but we just do not have the time****.

Footnotes
---------

* - One day it will be two vast and trunkless legs of stone, and we will
wonder what its secret was, and how it got away with it for so long.
Until then it must simply be endured.

** - DG Figures, 1999.

*** - Shneiderman, "Leonardo's Laptop", 25.

**** - Or rather perhaps you should.  I don't use the stuff.  This book
was researched and written without the use of any Microsoft software at
all.  Such a pleasure; you can't imagine.

--
Geoff Teale
Free Software Foundation <tealeg at member.fsf.org>