[Sussex] snigger, snigger!

Trevor Marshall trevorm at rusham.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 17:51:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 22:53 +0000, Geoffrey Teale wrote:

> What you mean he still has an Altair on which to run Altair BASIC?
>
> ... oh I see, you mean he uses software written by people who work for
> his company or used to work for companies his company acquired.   ;-)
>
> On this subject, I received a book for Christmas, it was written by
> Michael Bywater and is entitled "Lost Worlds - What have we lost, and
> where did it go?", I thoroughly recommend it.   It is a highly
> entertaining read, a taxonimy of loss.   I wish to quote a single entry
> (including footnotes, it's the final footnote that's the killer):
>
> Microsoft.
> ==========
>
> Microsoft is, sadly, far from lost*.  But is is, in a precisely
> defineable way, a loser, and what it loses is other people's lives.

[snip]

> **** - Or rather perhaps you should.  I don't use the stuff.  This book
> was researched and written without the use of any Microsoft software at
> all.  Such a pleasure; you can't imagine.

Oh no, I can imagine the pleasure.  It's what makes me fire up a
computer at home after I've spent too much of my day nailing jelly to
the ceiling^W^W^W^W^Wtrying to administer and/or develop on a thicket of
Windows boxes.

Thanks for the quotation Geoff, It brightened up my whole day!
--
Trevor Marshall <trevorm at rusham.demon.co.uk>