[Sussex] permissions & crashes?

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jan 6 23:02:30 UTC 2005

Hi list,

permissions on gnubg.

To run gnubg, I have to do start>run command>options then select run as
a different user, apply the root pwd and put gnubg in the command box.

It fires up fine.

I can't start it as user though?

Somebody suggested this, which suggests my user account may not be in
the games group?

bash-2.05b$ ls -l `which gnubg`
-rwxr-x---  1 root games 2617012 Dec 31 06:28 /usr/games/bin/gnubg
bash-2.05b$

But how do I check and change if necessary?

Crashes with grip?

I've been ripping my cd's to the newly sorted /dev/hda7 /mnt/fat32
partition (thanks to Steve D.) but I've hit a strange one, insofaras one
disc won't rip/encode.

now I can get it playing with the KDE cd player (kscd), it will give me
titles/track names etc etc and play the disc fine.

if I try grip, it will only confirm that there's a disc in the drive,
and the track playing lengths, if I try and look up the disc from the
database (remotely) grip seems to crash or at least try to restart.

The cd is almost definitely too old to have any snag with DRM software
(I wouldn't know the symptoms that would tell anyway), being dated
originally in 1995 and then by EMI in 1998. I also don't think it's
"drm'd" as I managed to get it running under windows XP (WMP version 10
- I think).

I tried the KDE cd ripper, kaudiocreator, but for the life of me can't
work out how to drive the bloody thing!

The disc itself looks pretty much pristine, so it shouldn't (in theory)
have a "scratches" type problem.

Any idea's  for either of these two problems?

regards

John D.