[Sussex] permissions & crashes?

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Thu Jan 6 23:08:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:02:55PM +0000, John D. wrote:
> bash-2.05b$ ls -l `which gnubg`
> -rwxr-x--- 1 root games 2617012 Dec 31 06:28 /usr/games/bin/gnubg
> bash-2.05b$
>
> But how do I check and change if necessary?

You add yourself to the group "games". As root, run:

vigr

(note that by default, this will use "vi". If you aren't happy with
that, then do:

EDITOR=/usr/bin/my_editor vigr
)

Where "/usr/bin/my_editor" really does exist.

Locate the group called "games" in the file and add your non-root
user-account name to the end, i.e.:

games:x:23:foo,user,MYUSERNAME

Save the file. If the username you added is still logged in, they will
have to logout and login again for the perimissions to be picked up.

> Any idea's for either of these two problems?

Not sure about the second problem. What kernel version have you got?
Tried Xcdroast (if you *have* to use GUI to do all this :P)?

-- Thomas Adam

--
I know nothing, and understand even less.