[Sussex] permissions & crashes?

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jan 6 23:31:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 23:08 +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> Locate the group called "games" in the file and add your non-root
> user-account name to the end, i.e.:
>
> games:x:23:foo,user,MYUSERNAME
>
> Save the file. If the username you added is still logged in, they will
> have to logout and login again for the perimissions to be picked up.

Done that Thomas, but now the app (gnubg) tries to start but stops after
about a second or two.

I haven't got a clue as to where I'd find a log for gnubg - cos it
doesn't seem to have an entry of any kind in /var/log?

> Not sure about the second problem. What kernel version have you got?
> Tried Xcdroast (if you *have* to use GUI to do all this :P)?

I have absolutely no idea of how I'd accomplish cd ripping/encoding with
CLI anyway. even the link that was posted for me last week about a
"dictionary" of commands isn't much help, as it's just an alphabetical
list of commands i.e. more of a glossary, rather than a list of "stuff"
that then identifies the command that I'd need to do something.

Plus, even though I have a link about decyphering man pages, they're
still pretty much a total mystery too me.

I know that CLI is alledgedly more powerful, but unless you're familiar
with it (or was taught to drive a computer with it), I still find it
rather inconvenient, because when thing can be done graphically, I feel
that it is infinitely quicker.

Hence still "dazed and confused"

regards

John D.