[Sussex] Partitions and the like (curious windows behaviour).

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jan 18 19:24:47 UTC 2005

Hi list,

I know that this is really a windows thing, but I also appreciate that
there's a couple or list members who know about windows etc, so

The problem is like this.

1)When I did my repartitioning and so on last month

2)Copy/back up /home, then delete /home partition

3)Partition Magic 8 - I made 2 new partitions - 1 for /home and 1 for
mp3's formatted as FAT32

4)With PM8 formatted them both /home as ext2 and the /fat32 as FAT32

5)Back into linux doing mk.fs for the /home so it's now as it was -
formatted as reiserfs, but smaller, then copied the /home backup back
into /home

6)With the assistance of Steve D. made the mount points, mods to the
fstab, and changed stuff so the permissions were right (I think).

So great, I can now rip my cd's and save/play them from the new /fat32
partition, the only problem is that when I have to have the system back
into windows, if I look at the disc set up with Partition Magic, it
shows the fat32 partition fine, but windows doesn't seem to see the
partition and hasn't allocated it a drive letter etc etc.

So, does anyone know how to make XP home (sp2) see the partition, which
was afterall created with PM8 under XP ???

regards

John D.

P.S. yes, I know, sorry for posting a windies question but I can't work
out how to make windies "do this"!