MeshBoxes at Linitx WAS Re: [Sussex] Wireless AP

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 11:05:01 UTC 2005

Steve Dobson wrote:

>Colin: Thanks for the offer of the PC, but the problem with this is adding
>in a Wireless card that Linux can support as an WiFi Access Point (AP).
>The only card/software I know that works is HostAP with a Prism-II/III
>card.  I use a Prism-II in my own AP and it works very well.  However,
>the later model of the PCI card that I have is no longer based on the
>Prism chip set (so it doesn't work anymore with the HostAP kernel driver),
>and I don't know of which WiFi cards currently available are based on the
>chip set we need.  The MeshAP system that I bought from www.linitx.com
>no longer appears to be there - all I see when I put in "MeshAP" into their
>search engine is the MeshAP 32MB Compact Flash.  I know it has been a
>problem for others to find suitable hardware to build a x86/Linux/AP
>system.

I know the Linitx guys (Chris and Nick) quite well. I asked Nick about
this yesterday.

It appears that they (Linitx) had major problems with the radio chipset
that LocustWorld had used, and had customer complaints so they stopped
selling the "Meshbox" and offloaded the kit as generic "barebones Lex PCs".

Mark