[Sussex] Newbie!

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Sat Jul 2 20:20:38 UTC 2005

Hi John

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 21:04:56 +0100
"John English" <john at theenglishs.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> I am, I admit, a complete Linux newbie - but keen to learn!

That's what its all about...  Linux is a good thing to learn with.

> For starters - I can't help noticing since subscribing to this mail
> list how much email is just a carrier for an attached message (yours
> was an example which i pasted in below) - I assume this is to do with
> the difference between OS/app but am unclear why - never seen
> anything equivalent on other mailing lists!

Outlook Express problem (I see you're using OE6).  I digitally sign my
emails with gpg (gnu answer to pgp) as do a few others here.  OE doesn't
properly interpret the MIME structure of gpg / pgp signed mail and
presents the whole caboodle as an attachment.  OE's big brother Outlook
handles them correctly, as do most other mail clients - give
thunderbird a go for example (www.getthunderbird.com) - works on both
windows and linux.

> Sorry - grammar a bit screwy above but had a few beers watching Live8
> - kind of takes me back to the original - which kind of gives away my
> advancing years!!! :-)

Its a glass or two of red here but, yes, I know the feeling...

> I'm on Timberleys BTW.

Ah ha!  A stranger from the east!!!  Isn't that on the rustington end
of town?

> Probably should try getting along to one of your moots and/or the BCF
> thing in Worthing - what would you recommend?

Haven't been to a moot yet, but we have some planet sized brains
kicking around on the list so I imagine the talks are fab!  BCF was fun
- that was where I found 'em.  You could go along to the BCF and have
Steve D reveal the joys of debian to you!

Cheers

Ronan