[Sussex] RE: Linux and the Average User

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 11:12:23 UTC 2005

 From: John D. [mailto:john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] RE: Linux and the Average User

> I suspect that lots of you on the list have missed the "User" bit.
>
> Users don't want to have to configure anything. They just "want it too
> work". Not too spend hours/days/weeks (in my case years), trying to
> learn how something works, just too get it to "go"!
>
> The main reason I'm here in the first place, is because I want to
"use"
> my pc, but I don't want to have to use it with MS products. For me,
it's
> a social/ethical/moral problem. If the rest of the world wants to
remain
> hypnotised by Gates and MS, well thats surely their choice.
>
> Hence, my biggest "soapbox subject" being documentation. Most of "you
> lot" have considerable levels of IT knowledge, which too me, suggest
not
> needing instructions/howtos/etc being written in "plain" English, but
> for me, it's the opposite.
>
> So I'll continue to say that you shouldn't substitute enthusiast with
> "User".

I get your point and although valid, a user of what ever level doesn't
stop becoming a user.
If one was to consider an average person regardless of touching a pc
before or not then, and then class them in the need or ability of
computers you will have a different answer to what you would get from an
average 'user' of pc's.

Oh and technically considering your interest and involvement in SLUG
that would class you as an enthusiast.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.