[Sussex] continuing difficulties with Samba.

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Jul 30 09:00:47 UTC 2005

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 12:17:39 am 29/07/2005 "John D." <john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> does anyone know of some sort of check list of the thing that I
>> should check to work through this problem? I perhaps could guide me
>> through that ???
>>

> Have you read this?
> http://sambafr.idealx.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/simple.html
>
> (weird URL, but it's just a french mirror of samba.org)
>
> It's a pretty good walkthrough of the concepts and implementation of a
> simple samba network.
>
> I thoroughly recommend it as a "learn by doing" introduction to Samba in
> partnership with the Official HOWTO (also on samba.org) for reference. They
> are both available in friendly book form too :)
>
> The same guide also covers small office style networks with user management
> right up to large scale backoffice stuff with LDAP.
Thankyou for the link Chris.

Unfortunately I'm at a loss as to what I'd need to change to get my
network, well, working.

The examples that the link quotes is confusing me, even with the most
basic level, as I haven't managed to establish the stage that I've got
to. Or what I actually need to have set (in the smb.conf or other stuff).

regards

John D.