[Sussex] DMZ zone routing

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Thu Jun 2 06:16:52 UTC 2005

Andrew,

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 18:43:04 +0100 (BST)
"Andrew Guard" <andrew at andrewguard.com> wrote:

> OK I can not work out this could be done but lets see if can think how
it
> would work.  I need to put 2 computers on within a DMZ area.  How
could
> this be done.
>
> Router (a1) (a2) (a3)
>
> a1 Computer
> a2 Computer
>
> a3 DMZ - Router (b1) (b2)
>
> b1 DMZ - Computer
> b2 DMZ - Computer

If you purchase a router the handles DMZ's out of the box (the linksys
ones seem pretty good at it!) then your setup should look like this:

BT/LOCAL-LOOP CLOUD

  PUBLIC IFACE

DSL/ISDN/POTS[1] MODEM/ROUTER -- DMZ (ORANGE) IFACE-- SWITCH - DMZ COMP1
	|						|
	|						|
	|					      DMZ COMP(x)
LOCAL (PRIVATE) NETWORK IFACE (GREEN)

LOCAL SWITCH

You would then restrict all access to the private (GREEN) interface and
probably allow outgoing only on certain ports (http,SMTP,POP3/IMAP and
FTP plus any bespoke services).

The Computers in the DMZ are usually wide open to access from anywhere,
so I recommend securing them with a local IPTABLES rule-set.

Hope this helps,

Matt

[1] Plain Old Telephone System (PSTN[1])
[2] Public Switched Telephone Network - the normal phone lines... :)