[Sussex] Dual boot Ubuntu

Rupert Swarbrick rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net
Sun Jun 19 22:08:11 UTC 2005

Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:49:38PM +0100, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
>
>>I also think that the ubuntu installer does that all automatically. It
>>sees an NTFS partition (or Fat32 if you're using Win98/ME) and assumes
>>you've got windows there.
>

> In certain circumstances...
>

>>P.S. By far the most difficult problem is resizing the existing
>>partitions. I assume that you've already shrunk the windows one, or
>>are you happy to wipe your Windows install and start again? If you're
>>using XP's NTFS, you'll have to resize in advance - PartitionMagick is
>>great for that, but costs ?70 (or a friend that has it...)
>

> You shouldn't attempt resizing NTFS partition at all, to be honest,
> whether it's via F/OSS or a 100000000 pound sterling app your Granny
> recommended to you.  The FS was not made for resizing.  :/  Either way,
> the NTFS page at sf.net is the best resource to go look.

I dunno... Both my desktop and laptop survived. But then again, the only
problem if they hadn't would have been licensing issues with
reinstalling XP - I'd backed up all data (or none, in the case of laptop
as there wasn't any yet) and had all the program CDs.

I would strongly suggest backing up as there is always the possibility
of something going wrong. Or a power cut! (Again, not such a problem
with the laptop)

So if you have XP and want linux, I'm afraid you have very little choice :)

Best of luck, all the same!

Rupert