[Sussex] What distro?

Paul Howard phowardcom at mac.com
Tue Jun 28 17:27:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:42:56 +0100, Steve Dobson  wrote:

> I'm not a fan of Linspire as (so I read) they run everything as root.
> Is that still true?  This will just make it easier for hackers to gain
> access to those parts of the system they shouldn't and we all know where
> that leads.

Linspire creates the root account during the install but immediatley
prompts for people to create their own user account once the install is
complete. It hasn't run as default for ages.

> What Dell have you got?  I've run (and know several other) Dell laptops
> without any problem under Debian and Knoppix.

It's a Dell Inspirion 8200 with an inbuild Broadcom BCM4301 wifi card.

> Steve

I am currently downloading Kubuntu to give it a go - it's a shame the live
CD and the install CD are not on the same disc and I can't be bothered to
download both so I will just install it and see how it works. :)

Many thanks to everyone who suggested it - I will report back how I found
it later.

--
Paul Howard

http://www.phoward.com    paul at phoward.com

mobile: +44-(0)7771-512312    tel: +44-(0)870-068-6141    sip:
1-747-2444-266