[Sussex] Curious happenings doing gentoo kernel upgrade?

Geoffrey J Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Fri Mar 18 14:23:21 UTC 2005

Paul Turner <pturner at rentokil.com> writes:

Afternoon Paul!

> Has it upgraded your system to gcc4?  I don't know as I'm not using
> gentoo at the moment, but has similar issues in the past when gcc
> changed.  Full recompile (almost).

I hope it hasn't.  GCC4 isn't actually released yet - you have to go
out of your way to get it and install it.

Gentoo maybe more cutting edge than some other distros, but I doubt
they'd put pre-release code in their stable repository, especially not
gcc!

More likely they've applied the visibility patch to 3.4.

Either way, there isn't a binary compatibility problem, it's just
Nvidia being cautious.

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology    || Free Software Foundation
gteale at cmedltd.com || tealeg at member.fsf.org