[Sussex] Curious happenings doing gentoo kernel upgrade?

Paul Turner pturner at rentokil.com
Fri Mar 18 13:50:32 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:

> Ho hum!
>
> Did the daily "emerge -uD world" yesterday, which kicked out a kernel
> upgrade (from 2.6.10-gentoo-r6 to 2.6.11-gentoo-r4). So I just did my
> "usual" and opened the gentoo kernel upgrade guide to follow that and
> having done the cd, made the new symlink, and run genkernel,
> everything seemed to go fine.
>
> When I try to boot the new kernel it starts to "play up" inasfaras the
> natsemi module for my ethernet card starts then fails. It's still
> showing in the modules autoload file.
>
> What do I need to check/look into to sort that?
>
> Erm, I did also try to see if things would still work by trying to
> emerge the nvidia kernel to compile the module for that kernel version
> but it just throws out a "gcc mismatch" which I don't understand either.

Has it upgraded your system to gcc4?  I don't know as I'm not using
gentoo at the moment, but has similar issues in the past when gcc
changed.  Full recompile (almost).

Hopefully someone else here can shed more light on this?

Regards Paul.

> for the moment I've reverted to using the 2.6.10 kernel, so I can use
> the system.
>
> Any ideas please ???
>
> Cheers
>
> John D.

*/Paul Turner/*
Applications Team Leader
*Rentokil Initial* Corporate IT

EMail: pturner at rentokil.com DDI: +44 (1) 342 332 677 Telephone: +44 (1)
342 327 171 Fax: +44 (1) 342 332 551

Information in this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is
intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender, and please delete
the message from your system immediately.