[Sussex] Microsoft fails to comply

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Fri Mar 18 20:42:10 UTC 2005

Geoffrey J Teale wrote:

>Stephen Williams <sdp.williams at btinternet.com> writes:
>

>>On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 17:13 +0000, Geoffrey J Teale wrote:
>>Why not? Who funds the EU in the first place?
>>

>You, I, every one and every entity who pays tax in the EU.
>

>>Actually I think governments should be as small as possible, and
>>certainly much smaller than ours is at the moment.
>>

>That's not exactly unpredictable behavior from you Mr. Williams.  That
>is pretty much the view of the right wing on a global basis.
>
>You believe that if we just back off and let everyone look after
>themselves it'll all be much better.

Well, it can't be any worse than the government at the moment who
believe that everything and everybody should be controlled - I believe
it is called the Nanny state - is that really what you subscribe to Mr
Teale?  In other words, at the extremes of what you seem to believe, you
will have to run Microsoft software, as that is what the state
prescribes.....

At the end of the day, alot of the money that the government gets each
day is wasted on petty bureaucracy.  Take car tax for example - it is
not only a way to overtax the populace, but also a way to keep alot of
government jobs.  A simpler and more efficient way is surely to put the
tax on fuel, and it becomes fairer, but no - that doesn't happen.

>>Then tax allowances
>>should be raised so that there is enough revenue to fund the really
>>important things, and the poorest are taken out of tax altogether.
>>

>I'd be happy with not taxing the poor - but how do you define poor,
>what's the cut off.  Right now we have a system that isn't balanced,
>at one end it has zero income, zero tax and the other end it has
>infinite income, 40% taxation.

Well, personally, I believe that the tax bands should rise in line with
inflation - i.e. the 40% bracket should rise with inflation.

>Would discuss more but I have to listen to the Now show (Radio 4)
>mocking the tories :-P

Well, with any luck, they will be preparing to rid our poor country of
the disease that is labour.

Adios,

Richie