[Sussex] Microsoft fails to comply

Geoffrey J Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sat Mar 19 19:16:19 UTC 2005

Wow... I've been out all day and I come back to all this debate.
Certainly stimulating if not entirely linux related.

I have to agree with John - the Tories are only going to reduce our
civil liberties further in the name of being "tough".

On Mark's points.  Yes my argument was of the kind I was criticising
(overly simplistic), but I do believe that purchasing and resourcing
should be down centrally (to keep down costs and aid negotiation) and
medical decisions should be made as locally as possible.

I'm going to repeat my quiz question from last night (sorry if I missed an
answer from anyone) - One party in the UK has Open Source software use
as an item in it's manifesto.  Which party is it?

Here's a clue:

 "Government at all levels should promote adherence to IT
 standards,particularly open standards, and the use of shareware and
 OSS (Open Source Software) - note that economic theory suggests that
 for optimal wealth creation goods should be priced at the "marginal"
 cost of production - the cost of producing one more unit. This is
 near zero for software, so wider use of OSS is highly economically
 desirable. This is particularly so in developing countries, where
 conventional pricing makes much legal software almost unaffordable.

The <PARTY NAME> strongly opposes software patenting. Copyright works well
enough to protect IPR (Intellectual Property Rights). The flag of IPR
must not be used to give more power to rich corporations while
preventing the general use of useful cheap software."

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology    || Free Software Foundation
gteale at cmedltd.com || tealeg at member.fsf.org