[Sussex] data aquisition

Rob Boss mapseast at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 03:14:25 UTC 2005

BRENDAN ET AL micro gas turbine general specs 100 to 200 k MAX rpm dependant
on engine size ,
temps-
k couple territory exhaust gas temp 500C ish or less at nozzle or  a lot
more! -with running problems e.g. under speed not sustaining quickly enough
running rich if you like , overspeeding of course too much flow where
general flow/ combustion dynamics allow or force /flame to leave combustion
chamber towards and out of nozzle ect

one litre
kerosene consumed in about 7 mins approx depending on engine size

3 to one pressure ratio at the moment lot more possible theoretically ..
another measurable data (case pressure)

opto sensors not as  good as magnetic surprisingly  for rpm measuring

fuel pump pressure upto 70 psi plus simple but very effective (model buggy
speed type motor driven geared- pump above all the safest method so far....
no pressurised fuel cylinders !

turbo shafts turbofans props all running  very well plenty of extras  to be
measured !

including afterburners ...

thrust measurement poss. with strain gauges or fishing balance!

vibration sensing future project

engines very well balanced with association designed balancer (open
source)stay in balance well!

bearings ceramic balled full compliment angular contact bearings no cage
total loss( premix) lube- best method
or case pressure fed reservoir (tricky metering )

thrust small engines in use at 5 lbs
up to larger units 150lbs plus

materials
TURBINE END
NIMONIC OR INCONEL lower powered older designs used twisted stainless
sheet --and worked
COMPRESSOR
high tensile allminium early ones ply wood !
no other exotics apart from bearings and they wernt at first either !!

sound and smell like the real thing because they are!!!

 rob