[Sussex]The first of the Debian based confusion(s)

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sun May 1 22:41:42 UTC 2005

Thomas Adam wrote:

>On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 06:51:29AM -0400, John D. wrote:
>

>>So, having "butchered" my apt/sources.list from Thomas' and Steves
>>advice it now looks like this:
>>

>You don't want to be doing that...  :P
>

>>`libgtk1.2-common' is missing final newline Errors were encountered
>>while processing: vdr-kbd Processing was halted because there were too
>>many errors. E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>>root at johnsPC:~#
>>

>Right, I suspect that the 'libgtk1.2-common' package is either in the
>installed, removed but NOT purged state.  Does the file:
>
>/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgtk1.2-common.list
>
>exist?  If so, kindly add a blank line to the end of the file and try
>the command again.
>

>>so it's still rather confusing (not to mention, that when I tried to
>>"do the usual" and install the nvidia driver, I ended up with an error
>>about missing files/libs that I've never seen before :( ).
>>

>Which was what?

I follow the instruction with initially told me that the
libgtk1.2-common.list then had an empty line, I backspace it so that it
just showed the blue ~ sign and then tried to apt-get dist-upgrade.

I then had to do that to a further 7 or so list files (vim-common,
squid-common, kstars-data, kde-i18n-da, kdei18n-tr, libssl-dev,
libs11-dev, kasteroids, etc).

This has allowed the install to complete the apt-get dist-upgrade (as
far as I can tell). I also am presuming that some of these list files
must have been corrupted during install (though the md5sum was OK when I
d/l'd the knoppix 3.8.1).

I'll go and try the nvidia driver and opera - as neither of them wanted
to play earlier!

regards

John D.