[Sussex] Debian news...

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Wed May 4 20:48:25 UTC 2005

> > I could probably look to find out myself but as it wasn't glaringly
> > obvious I decide to ask you. Do you know if there is going to be a
> > stable release of sarge for x86-64 platform?
>
> Woo-hah! a question I can answer!  The answer looks like
> "no", it'll be
> stable in Etch, see
> <http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-amd64-howto.html
> #id274719>
> for details.
>
>I've been thinking about an amd64 system as a replacement for this old
>400MHz PII as a workstation, and I looked at Debian availability :-(.
>There's an Ubuntu amd64 version - anybody tried that?

Yup.. And it didn't particularly like my Via based motherboard (come to
think of it.. I don't either, its not the stableist platform, but I
bought it as a stop-gap so that when I replace the GFX card with a
PCI-Express I'm not having to replace memory, cpu and processor at the
same time, just the mobo and gfx card)
I will admit, I didn't spend any great amount of time trying to get it
to work, and actually chucked a 32bit Slack install on here instead,
which works... Even if not at 64bit.  At some point when I've got fewer
projects on my plate I'll actually spend the time to get Ubuntu working,
but when it doesn't even recognise either of my 2 network cards (mobo
integrated and an SMC one), it tends to make life a pain.