[Sussex] (no subject)

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Fri May 6 07:31:19 UTC 2005

Mike Diack wrote:

>Quick question to you all and particularly to any Linux Format
>subscribers....

Yes, it turned up in the post yesterday morning and yes I installed it
(2005 LE) yesterday evening.

I've had to get the 2.6.11 mandrake/mandriva kernel sources to install
the nvidia driver, I've also uninstalled firefox 1.0.2, as that was
superceded with 1.0.3 with a security patch. Though I've installed
"proper" mozilla anyway.

Plus, as usual, I got opera, I'm currently downloading Firefox,
Thunderbird and Open Office 2 beta (1.1.4 was uninstalled).

Lots of stuff is still labelled as Mandrake 10.2, but given the speed
that they stuck the "mandriva" rebranding on things I suppose that'd be
expected.

I certainly don't like the stylised penguin bootsplash, I can't decide
if it looks more like mediocre US 70/80's image or given the penguins
iris' changed to stars, whether he just looks "stoned" (man!).

Seem to be a few obvious improvements (it "found" Clares Rio Carbon mp3
player straight away, and yes I can get at the files). It also seems to
have spotted my PDA/smartphone as it started "Kpilot", though that'll
not be much good, the phone is PDA based.

I think I'll stick with this for a while to play. Anyway, it's no real
effort to re-install Gentoo later!

regards

John D.