[Sussex] Hardware Help

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed May 11 11:23:56 UTC 2005

Colin

Ta for the help

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 09:30:32AM +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Steve Dobson wrote:
> > For those of you that know my car, you know
> > that space is a issue with it :-)
>
> Get a bigger car! <g>

Why do I need a bigger car.  The stuff I _need_ to carry arround fits,
I just can't carry unnecessary junk!  I buy a car for its drivability!
(So I agree with Geoff)

> > The problem is that the PSU only has three disk power connectors
> > and I need four. So...
>
> A "Y" connector would be best, however if you are really that short of space
> then you could replace the FD connector, however you will need to source the
> connector bits and a crimp tool to do so, or maybe bodge something with a
> soldering iron.

Getting the bits isn't a problem - Maplins carry them and I might be over
that way tomorrow.

> >   3). I also need to make a custom (for length) motherboard power
> >       extension cable.  The one that came with the case isn't long
> >       enough.  Is there any length limit for the cable from the PSU
> >       to the motherboard.
>
> The sort of lengths you are talking about are not a problem, if you were
> talking several meteres it might be. Again, connectors might be a problem,
> both sourcing them and assembling them.

Ta - I though as much, but it is nice to check.  Again, Maplins have the
bits - I've seen them.

> > My problem is power.
>
> Right you have a PSU that consumes 180W from the mains and can deliver 160W
> (the rest is lost or used to drive the Fan).
>
> On average it looks like each of your disk drives consumes 9 or 10 Watts, so
> the disks account for 40 Watts.

Okay so far.

> The processor seems to be about 20 Watts
>
> The motherboard is probably the same (I couldn't find any figures for it on
> the web).

The processor is supplied with the motherboard.  I managed to find a document
that did give power consumption figures from tests.  The worst (running
CC Winstone2001 test) was:
	Test Voltage	Measured Volts	Measured Amps	Watts
	+ 3.3V		3.323V		2.440A		 8.108W
	+ 5.0V		4.989V		3.020A		15.067W
	  5.0Vsb	4.948V		0.050A		 0.247W
	+12.0V		12.028V		0.190A		 2.285W
					Total Watts:	25.708W

> That comes to about 80 Watts, however the PVR 350 is a power hungry monster
> I suspect, I couldn't find any power figures for it but it's got to be at
> least twice the processor I would think.

I still can't find power ratings for the PVT-350.  Do you know what the
max power draw of the PCI is?

But given that you esitmated that the motherboard + CPU would draw
80 Watts, but has been tested at 25 Watts do you think that the four
disk is okay to be driven from the PSU?

Ta for your help