[Sussex] Hardware Help

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Wed May 11 11:55:05 UTC 2005

Steve Dobson wrote:

> The processor is supplied with the motherboard.

Ah, you have the C3 series processor then.

>>That comes to about 80 Watts,

So it's actually 65W instead of 80W

>> however the PVR 350 is a power hungry monster

> I still can't find power ratings for the PVT-350.  Do you know what the
> max power draw of the PCI is?

Looking at the spec for the PCI bus I can't see any max power values. I
think you are going to have to ask the manafacturer.

> But given that you esitmated that the motherboard + CPU would draw
> 80 Watts, but has been tested at 25 Watts do you think that the four
> disk is okay to be driven from the PSU?

It's certainly OK without the 350, I'd be inclined to try the system with
the 350 and see if it comes up ok - the power supply will probably shut down
if you try to pull to much power from it. If it does come up ok then you
need to monitor the PSU temperature for a while to make sure it doesn't cook.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -
Arthur C. Clarke